Shelter’s Specialist Debt Advice Service offers support to debt & money advisers who have complex case queries.
In case you haven’t already heard of the service, here’s a quick overview:
- The service is delivered by Shelter, and funded by the Money Advice Service
- The service in its current form was launched in October 2017, having previously been run by Citizens Advice
- It provides support and advice to free-to-client advisers across England and Wales. This includes advisers from local authorities, housing associations, Local Citizens Advice and other voluntary or smaller agencies.
- The service is available over the phone Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, or there is an online enquiry form that is available 24/7: shelter.org.uk/debtadviceservice
- Shelter produces a monthly ebulletin providing industry news, caselaw updates and articles. To sign up please visit the charity’s website and enter your email address.
Which queries should be referred?
The Specialist Debt Advice Service exists to provide answers to the difficult queries, where an answer cannot be found elsewhere. An example query may be:
- Whether a preference has been made to a creditor prior to a client submitting a Debt Relief Order (DRO) application – we would be able to answer the query, referencing relevant links to the DRO Toolkit and DRO Guidance notes where appropriate.
Please note: For less complex queries, advisers should try find the answer using their traditional channels, such as referring to colleagues or their line manager, and exploring other resources such as the National Debtline factsheets or resource books. This would apply to queries such as:
- Advice on how to complete a financial statement for a client and which debts would be included as priority.
Follow the link below to watch a short video clip introducing the service:
To view the Specialist Debt Advice service information leaflet, click here
Feel forward this information on to any agencies who you feel would benefit from access to our service.
If you would like any further information, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Email: TraceyN@shelter.org.uk Tel: 0344 515 1990/1 Mob: 07932 640856