Location: Sheffield – Sheffield Foyer
Website Category: Care services
Division: Sheffield Foyer and Support
Vacancy Type: Permanent
Closing Date: 12 January 2020
Recruitment Advisor: Neelam Ilyas – 0161 219 9899
A member of The Guinness Partnership, Guinness Care is a charitable organisation that specialise in care services for older people and adults with learning disabilities. We deliver over 10,000 hours of care to customers each week with services that range from care at home, extra care, supported and independent living.
We want to provide great person centred services that enable our customers to live positive, independent lives – and because everything we do is about our customers, our communities and our people, any profit we make is re-invested back into our business so that we can continue to deliver the highest quality of care.
About the role
We have an exciting opportunity for a Support Officer to join our Foyer team in Sheffield on a permanent basis.
The Foyer provides a safe setting for 60 young people aged 16 – 25 to work towards living independently. In this role you will use an Advantaged Thinking approach to empower and support young people. You will offer high levels of support in independent living skills and optimise opportunities to access work and training – giving young people the best possible opportunities to thrive and increase their life chances.
Reporting to the Foyer Senior Support Officer, your key responsibilities will include:
- Co-ordinate and manage the delivery of a range of activities to promote a holistic concept of health and well-being, foster confidence and build relationships including: arts and crafts, gym sessions and fun physical activities, cooking, gardening, yoga, relaxation and positive health promotion workshops.
- Develop and manage, with the team, a schedule of weekly, monthly and yearly activities, including events celebrating diversity, and activities outside the Foyer, within the community.
- Use in-house facilities to the best advantage including the: Relaxation Room, Gym, Television Room, Music Room, IT Suite and Garden.
- Engage with residents, motivate and support them to get involved with the Activity Programme, communicating interest and enthusiasm.
- Monitor and record resident gains and achievements within the data collection systems.
- Use the Foyer principles of Advantaged Thinking and implement a Psychologically Informed (‘PIE’) framework.
- Ensure all residents are registered with a GP or support them to register with Norfolk Park Medical Centre, completing their registration forms, and recording this information as a KPI.
- Ensure all residents are registered with a dentist or support them to register, completing registration forms as required and recording this information as a KPI
- Liaise with professionals and volunteers offering therapeutic services at the Foyer and to Foyer residents, e.g. sexual health; yoga, relaxation, meditation and mindfulness; art and crafts; music and gardening.
What we’re looking for
Our customers are important to us and that’s why we look for people who are truly passionate about working for an organisation that makes a difference in the lives of our customers and promotes their independence. In addition to this you must have:
- A sensitive and supportive approach to vulnerable people maintaining their self-respect at all times.
- Good level of numeracy.
- Good written/oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience of working with young people.
- Experience of engaging and motivating people
- Knowledge of organisations providing services to young people
- Experience of dealing with disengagement and challenging behaviour.
- Good multi-tasking and organisational abilities
- Educated to a higher level – (i.e. recognised Youth and Community qualification or relevant qualification)
What’s on offer
We offer an excellent benefits package that helps to make Guinness Care a great place to work. Benefits include but aren’t limited to:
- Competitive Salary of £21,583 per annum
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Amazing career development opportunities – work with your manager to map out your career plan at Guinness and receive support and guidance to achieve your goals.
- Professional qualification support
- Financial support for professional subscriptions
- Eye test vouchers
- Employee assistance programme
- E-learning courses
- Thank you award- by nomination
If you’re interested in joining us and would like to apply for this role, please review the role profile to view all of the key responsibilities and ensure you meet the essential criteria.
Closing Date: 9th January (midnight)
Interview Date: TBC