Written by Showroom Workstation Sheffield
Aged 16-19 and looking to start a career in film? Sign up to the BFI Film Academy now and become a part of the future of the film industry.
‘It’s made me realise that I can work in film’BFI Film Academy Student 2019
We are excited to announce that we will be delivering the BFI Film Academy programme for 2020/21!
We are searching for 20 talented, enthusiastic and hard-working 16-19 years olds from the South Yorkshire region, to take part in this year’s prestigious BFI Film Academy at Showroom Cinema, Sheffield. We are particularly welcoming applications from those groups currently under-represented in the film industry.
The course will run from Wednesday 4th November until Saturday 30th January, giving you the opportunity to develop professional skills, work with industry professionals and take your first step into the film industry. The course will run every Saturday with a break over the Christmas period.
The course is traditionally delivered at Showroom Cinema, but due to the ongoing COVID-19 restrictions it will now be delivered through a combination of online and in person training later in the year. Government COVID-19 guidelines will be adhered to and we will continually assess the safest and most appropriate way of conducting the course. We will provide updates throughout the application process and should Government COVID-19 guidelines change we will be able to switch to a fully online delivery approach.
Course Leader: Sam Barnett – email@example.com
Course Coordinator: Nora Murphy – firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I apply?
The course fee is £25, with bursaries available for those who require financial assistance to participate, including fees and/or travel costs. CLICK HERE TO APPLY ONLINE
Alternatively, if you would like to send your application by email, please download the Application Pack and email it to email@example.com.
You can also post your application to Sam Barnett at BFI Film Academy, Sheffield, The Workstation, 15 Paternoster Row, S1 2BX.
Deadline for application – Friday 23rd October 2020.
What is involved?
By taking part in the BFI Film Academy, you will:
- Be immersed in all aspects of hands-on filmmaking which will help you to develop your practical knowledge and skills working alongside industry professionals who are respected practitioners in their field.
- Gain a real insight into the exciting world of cinema, equipping you with skills and experience that are essential to becoming part of our future film industry.
- Watch a range of cinema from British independent to specialised film.
- Work in teams on a practical film-based project spread across ten weeks. The films from last year will be screened at the Spirit of Independence Film Festival this year.
- Work towards a recognised qualification from NCFE.
- Become part of the BFI Film Academy Alumni and access exclusive opportunities, advice and professional development.
Who can apply?
To apply for the BFI Film Academy you must:
- Be aged 16–19 years old on the first day of the course
- Be based in South Yorkshire
- Have a passion or talent for filmmaking and an ambition to work in the film industry
- Be able to commit to the duration of the course (10 weeks, 4th November – 30th January)
- Not currently be at university or enrolled at university when the course starts
The course takes place on Saturdays and there will be an optional online session each Wednesday to work on and develop your short film project.
Wednesday 4th November – Introduction to the course (Timings TBC)
Saturday 7th November (09:15 – 15:15)
Saturday 14th November (09:15 – 15:15)
Saturday 21st November (09:15 – 15:15)
Saturday 28th November (09:15 – 16:15)
Saturday 5th December (09:00 – 16:00)
Saturday 12th December (09:00 – 16:00)
Saturday 9th January (09:15 – 16:30)
Saturday 16th January (09:15 – 16:30)
Saturday 23rd January (09:15 – 15:30)
Saturday 30th January (09:15 – 12:00)
BFI Film Academy Residential 2021 – Sheffield
To view the original source, click here