Job title – Grow Gardeners Team Leader
Contract – 2 days (14hours) per week (six months fixed-term contract)
Salary – £22,000 per annum (pro rata)
Pension – 5% pension contribution
Holiday – 25 days per annum plus statutory (pro rata)
Grow is a young, exciting and innovative charity; we’ve come a long way and it’s been a real
adventure. We are still in a development phase that is equal parts exciting and terrifying.
Dare we say it… we are looking for a pretty unique and outstanding candidate for this role. If
you are looking for creativity, innovation and the opportunity to shape something, we’d love
to hear from you!
This role is a hybrid of a number of exciting elements. We are hoping to find a candidate
who is passionate about gardening but also has the skill, experience and ability to coach and
develop young people.
After a successful pilot in 2020, we are looking to develop our Grow Gardeners Programme.
This is a paid work experience programme where young people get the opportunity to learn
gardening skills whilst fulfilling a range of different gardening contracts- both residential and
commercial. In short, we are creating a mini gardening business that has a positive social
● Working with the wider Grow team to promote Grow Gardeners services and secure
● Managing all of the contact with your teams gardening clients, including:
○ Email and phone contact with new and existing clients
○ Assessing new projects to provide quotes
○ Contact with clients during and after work is completed
○ Seeking feedback from clients to maintain long term customer relationships
● Oversee scheduling of Grow Gardeners client work for your team
● Line managing a small team of 2 gardening trainees during your sessions
○ Supporting the recruitment of trainees
○ Maintaining and modelling professional standards
○ Consistent communication with trainees around pick up and drop off times
○ Conducting 1:1 with trainees to review their progress
○ Overseeing any disciplinary procedures related to gardening sessions that are
necessary with trainees
● Training and development of gardening trainees
○ Support development of all necessary gardening skills to fulfill gardening
contracts (including tool safety, customer service skills and basic garden
● Work alongside Communication and Operations Coordinator to make sure invoices
are sent and paid by clients
● Maintain health and safety standards, including completing risk assessments where
● Conducting admin tasks necessary to run the gardening activities of your team
Wider Grow responsibilities:
● Represent Grow at key events, including Grow fundraising events
● Occasional evening and weekend commitments, including monthly Grow ‘after
● Other ad hoc admin duties as required to support the development and running of
Skills and Experience Qualities
● Experience in a gardening/ horticulture role (paid or voluntary)
● Horticulture. Gardening qualification (desired but not essential)
● Clear and motivating communicator in both 1:1 and group settings
● Experience of working with young people and/or vulnerable people
● Experience of coaching or mentoring
● Team leadership or management experience
● Responsive to feedback in order to improve skills
● Proficient IT skills
● Stakeholder management experience
● Proactive and energetic approach
● Confidence to bring your ideas to help shape programme and organisational development
● Emotional resilience, particularly when faced with challenging behaviour
● A ‘can-do’ attitude
● A motivated individual who is able to build enthusiasm in others
- Any role offer is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
- A full driving licence is required for this role
Training and support
Extensive training and support will be available to all team members, particular in the areas
of coaching and safeguarding.
If you are interested in this role, please send your CV and an expression of interest to the
following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We don’t have a fixed start date in mind for this role, we first want to meet interested
candidates to explore this role and the wider programme in more detail.