Written by Grow UK
We are looking for a unique and outstanding candidate for this role, someone who shares our values, is committed to our continuing journey and wants to make a difference to the young people we work with.
If you are looking for a role where you can use your creativity, innovation and have the opportunity to shape something, we’d love to hear from you!
Our vales are inspire, unlock potential, growth and people focussed.
Contract: three days (21 hours) per week (six-months fixed-term contract)
Salary: £22,000 per annum (pro rata)
Pension: 5% pension contribution available (based on government eligibility criteria)
Holiday: 25 days per annum plus statutory (pro rata)
This role is a hybrid of a number of exciting elements. We are hoping to find a candidate who can deliver gardening services, but also has the skill, experience and ability to coach and develop young people.
After a successful year in 2021, we are looking to develop our Grow Gardeners Programme. This is a paid work experience programme where young people get the opportunity to learn gardening and employability skills whilst fulfilling a range of different gardening contracts- both residential and commercial. In short, we are creating a gardening business that has a positive social impact.
Training and support will be available to all team members, particular in the areas of coaching and safeguarding.
Working with the wider Grow team to ensure the smooth running of the Grow Gardeners service
Deliver gardening services for clients, including gardening mowing, weeding, planting, hedge trimming, site clearance, turfing.
Managing all of the contact with your teams gardening clients, including:
- Email and phone contact with new and existing clients
- Assessing new projects to provide quotes
- Contact with clients during and after work is completed
- Seeking feedback from clients to maintain long term customer relationships.
Leading a small team of two gardening trainees during your sessions
- Supporting the recruitment of trainees
- Maintaining and modelling professional standards
- Consistent communication with trainees around pick up and drop off times
- Supporting any disciplinary procedures related to gardening sessions that are necessary with trainees
- Identify and report any safeguarding issues.
Training and development of gardening trainees:
Support development of all necessary gardening skills to fulfil gardening contracts (including tool safety, customer service skills and basic garden maintenance training).
- Monitor and report client invoicing information
- Maintain health and safety standards, including completing risk assessments where appropriate
- Conducting admin tasks necessary to run the gardening activities of your team
- Contribute to tool maintenance and ongoing operations of the team.
- Represent Grow at key events, including Grow fundraising events
- Grow whole team meeting held monthly on a Monday evening (toil available)
- Other ad-hoc admin duties as required to support the development and running of the charity.
Skills and experience
- Experience in a gardening/ horticulture role (paid or voluntary)
- Experience of working with young people and/or vulnerable people
- Experience of developing others through coaching or mentoring
- Clear and motivating communicator in both 1:1 and group settings
- Team leadership or management experience
- Responsive to feedback in order to improve skills
- Proficient IT skills
- Stakeholder management experience.
Any role offer is subject to an advanced DBS check.
A full driving license is required for this role.
- Proactive and energetic approach
- Confidence to bring your ideas to help shape programme and organisational development
- Emotional resilience, particularly when faced with challenging behaviour
- A ‘can-do’ attitude
- A motivated individual who is able to build enthusiasm in others
- A commitment to our values.
- Use of your own vehicle to travel to client gardens.
- Horticulture qualification.
If you are interested in this role, please send your CV and an expression of interest to the email@example.com.
Closing date: Thursday 21 April 2022.