Are you a Sheffield City Council tenant who loves to garden or grow your own food? Are you happiest surrounded by blooms, bulbs and blossoming green spaces?
If you answered “yes” to either of those questions then why not enter our annual garden competition. We want to find the best gardeners among our housing tenants. To be in with a chance of winning vouchers worth up to £100 you can enter one or more of the categories listed below.
- Best Use of a Small Space – for gardens 3 square metres or smaller, balconies or containers
- Best All Round Garden – does your green space have style, variety or beauty?
- Best Sheltered Scheme Garden – this category is only open to sheltered tenants’ group entries
- Best Sheltered Scheme Raised Planter – this category is open to sheltered tenants’ groups and individuals
- Young Gardener of the Year (discretionary award) – the judges may choose a winner who is aged 25 or under from the above categories
If you’re looking for inspiration take a look at the photographs of the winning gardens from 2018 that are available to download at the bottom of this page.
Prizes and Awards Ceremony
Winners in each of the ‘Best …’ categories will receive vouchers worth up to £100.
The discretionary award for Young Gardener of the Year comes with a prize of £50 in vouchers. If you are aged 25 years or under and a Sheffield City Council tenant, simply enter the competition in any of the categories. If you win one and impress the judges with your gardening skills, the additional prize will be added to whatever else you have won.
Winners will receive their awards at a presentation event to be held at the Botanical Gardens on Tuesday 17 September.
The rules are:
- Entrants must be Sheffield City Council housing tenants
- Entry can be for more than one category but an entrant will only go forward to the final in one category (except for Young Gardener of the Year)
- Only official entry forms will be accepted
- The judges’ decision is final
- Winners must take part in publicity, including photography
- No cash alternative is available for prizes
- The competition is not open to employees of Sheffield City Council
- Shortlisted entrants will be informed by letter
- Criteria and eligibility checks will be carried out
How to enter
Download the entry form below or pick one up from your local TARA, Housing Office or First Point.
You can submit your completed entry form by drop it in at any Housing Office or emailing it to homesE&ES@sheffield.gov.uk.
You can also post it (a stamp will be required) to:
Estate and Environmental Services
Corporate Mail Facility
Sheffield S1 4PL
The closing date for entries is 4pm on Friday 28 June. Judging will take place in July and August. We will contact you to arrange access for the judges to view your garden or balcony.