Coronavirus – Support for people

Written by Sheffield City Council

Get support from us or our partner services, or offer your help as a volunteer

Community Helpline

  • we can help you if you have no one else to support you or if you are self-isolating
  • we can do shopping, medication collection, social contact or urgent support
  • we’re contacting people on the government high risk and vulnerable list 
  • we will never ask for credit card details

Call us 0114 273 4567 or

Test and Trace support payment

If you are on a low income and will lose income because you are self-isolating you can apply for a payment of £500.

You can call our Contact Centre on 01142734567 for assistance filling out the form.

You must:

  • live in Sheffield and have received notification from NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate
  • have an 8 character NHS Test and Trace ID
  • have started self-isolation on or after 28 September 2020
  • have been told to stay at home and self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace because you have tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive
  • you can make a claim up to 14 days after your period of self-isolation ended (if it began on or after 28 September 2020)

You need to be:

  • employed or self-employed and unable to work from home and will lose income as a result
  • you receive one of these benefits: 
    • Universal Credit 
    • Working Tax Credit 
    • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance 
    • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance 
    • Income Support 
    • Housing Benefit
    • Pension Credit
  • or if you do not receive one of these benefits but you are on a low income and experiencing financial hardship while self-isolating you should still apply – you may be eligible for a discretionary award

Make sure you have your 8 character NHS Test and Trace ID before you apply.

If you need help to apply for the Test and Trace support payment call us on 0114 273 4567 and we will go through it with you.
Apply for a Test and Trace support payment

Covid-19 Emergency Assistance Grant

Covid-19 Emergency Assistance Grantsare provided to support Sheffield residents who are having difficulties paying for food and other essentials due to Covid-19.

The grant can pay for:

  • food and housekeeping (groceries, toiletries, baby essentials etc)
  • essential travel costs (job hunting, starting a new job, medical appointments etc)
  • telephone and broadband (mobile phones, top-ups, broadband charge etc)
  • gas and electricity
  • clothing, including school uniforms
  • essential furniture / white goods
  • rent in advance and deposits for new tenancies
  • rent arrears where this is a risk of eviction

It cannot be used for:

  • paying loans
  • statutory activities/requirements that either the Council or another public-sector organisation is responsible for delivering

Who can apply

  • you need to live in Sheffield
  • you are struggling to afford food and other essentials due to Covid-19 eg if you had your hours reduced at work
  • or you are indirectly affected eg someone who you rely on is not able to provide you with essential support
  • one grant will be issued per household except in very exceptional circumstances

If you need help to apply for the Emergency Assistance Grant call us on 0114 273 4567 and we will go through it with you.
Apply for a Covid-19 Emergency Assistance Grant

Adult Social Care

If you or someone you know doesn’t already receive social care:

  • for formal care and support contact our First Contact Team on 0114 273 4908
  • to find informal support in your area, contact Voluntary Action Sheffield

Contact Voluntary Action Sheffield support

Bereavement support

Listening Ear provide a dedicated helpline. Call 0800 048 5224Visit Listening Ear website

Collecting shopping, medication or social contact

If you have no-one else who can offer support and:

  • you are self isolating because you or your household is more vulnerable to the effects of the virus
  • or are self isolating because you have the virus

Call 0114 273 4567 or request help online.
Request help collecting shopping, medication or social contact

Domestic abuse, drugs and alcohol support

Sheffield DACT can offer helpline support if you are struggling with:

Visit Sheffield DACT website

Food banks

  • get help with food from Foodworks, a local social enterprise
  • get help from local community hubs
  • find where food banks are in Sheffield and check they are open before visiting

Find Sheffield food banks

Homeless or at risk of homelessness

Request a call-back


Council Tax

Council house rent

  • if you are struggling to pay your rent we can help you make a realistic repayment agreement call 0114 293 0000

Local Assistance scheme

Universal credit

How you can help

  • we accept offers of help from businesses and organisations
  • you can register with Voluntary Action Sheffield
  • you can register with NHS volunteer responders

Find out more about how you can help